Recipe by abloom69
Posted by request for my Sister. You will need a 10 inch springform pan for this recipe
Top Review by joanne.smolka
This pie is amazing. I experimented on my partner first because I wanted to make samosas for a dinner party but realized it would be too much work. I found out This is the perfect alternative to the real thing! Plus making the dough in the food processor was genius. I didn't time it but I think it took less than 2 minutes for the dough. Awesome!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 10 cups cooked cubed potatoes, 1/2 inch
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- EGG WASH: Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl.
- In a food processor, process the flour, butter, and salt until the dough forms a soft ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. This dough will be moist and softer than most pastry.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil and add onions, ginger, and garlic. Saute until onions are golden.
- Add the potatoes, and saute for a few minutes more.
- Add the spices and stir until mixed in well with the potato mixture.
- Add the cilantro, lemon juice, and peas, stirring well. Remove from heat.
- Leave about a third of the dough for the top crust. Roll out remaining dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Line the springform pan with the dough, letting in hang over the top about 1/2 an inch.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Pour in the filling and press down well.
- Roll out the reserved dough, place over the pan, trim pastry and crimp edges sealing well. Brush with remaining egg wash.
- Bake in oven for about 1 hour, until golden and heated through. Best made a day ahead and reheated at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with Raita.