Top Review by Travel-n-cook
Very tasty recipe that I tried on a Sunday afternoon. I have a small kitchen, so it took me over 3 hours to make everything, but I put it in some phillo dough and they taste great. I also couldn't find garam masala anywhere, so I just mixed some ground cumin powder with cinnamon and carraway seeds to make a full teaspoon as a substitute.
- 3 lbs boiling potatoes (4-5 potatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup peas, frozen or fresh (not canned)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh,grated
- 1 small green chili pepper, seeds removed,chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped up
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, roasted,ground
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, roasted,ground
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes and peel.
- Dice into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Into a hot cast iron frying pan, put the cumin and coriander seeds.
- Toss for about 30 seconds and remove seeds.
- Grind into powder.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion until light brown.
- Add the peas, ginger, green chili, chili powder, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons of water.
- Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Add the diced potatoes, roasted and ground coriander and cumin seeds, lemon juice, garam masala and stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Allow stuffing to cool before filling the samosas.