Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
A cheesecake based on my favorite Girl Scout cookie. Much gratitude and many thanks to the culinary genius of Culinary Concoctions by Peabody!
For the Cookie Base
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, for browning
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cheesecake
- 2 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
For the Caramel
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
For the Chocolate
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- To make the brown butter:.
- Cut ¼ cup of butter into pieces. Heat butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir the butter or swirl the pan so the butter does not get burnt. Remove from heat when butter turns light brown and gives off a nutty aroma. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch and salt together.
- Cream the remaining ¼ cup butter(at room temp) until smooth and add the sugar, beating for about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract and the brown butter. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Take cookie base and press down into a 10 inch spring form pan that has already been buttered/floured and lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Set out to cool.
- For the Cheesecake:.
- Cream the cheese until soft. Add in the sugar and mix well. Decrease the mixer speed to low and add the flour.
- Add eggs in one at a time scraping bowl down to make sure that there are no lumps.
- Stir in the vanilla. The coconuts can be added now; it just get stirred inches.
- Pour batter into the pan. Bake in a water bath at 350F for approx 1 ½ -2 hours. Let cake sit at room temperature until cool, then chill overnight.
- For the Caramel:.
- Pour the sugar into the center of a deep saucepan. Carefully pour 1/3 cup water around the walls of the pan, trying not to splash any of the sugar onto the walls. Do not stir; gently draw your finger twice through the center of the sugar, making a cross, to moisten it. Over high heat, bring to a full boil and cook without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally to even out the color, until the mixture is medium caramel in color, 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately turn off the heat and use a wooden spoon to slowly and carefully stir in the cream(it will bubble up and may splatter).
- Allow caramel to cool for a few minutes then stir in 12 ounces of sweetened coconut(you can add more if you would like). Stick in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- For the Chocolate:.
- Melt in a metal bowl over simmering water. Once cooled put into a pastry bag.
- To Assemble:.
- Once the cheesecake has chilled overnight. Place some of the topping on the cheesecake and spread it around to cover the top. It may be a little runny that is okay. Pipe chocolate stripes onto the cheesecake, as many as you would like and chill for another hour.