1/2 Photos of Samoas (Caramel Delites) (Gluten-Free)
1 hr 10 mins
Andrew Mollmann's Note:
Samoas were my favorite type of girl-scout cookie before going gluten-free. Now I haven't had one in over two years. When I saw a recipe for homemade Samoas, I knew I had to make a batch that was gluten-free. These take a while to make and are completely terrible for you but it's so worth it! * For the flour mix, I used Bette Hagman's Mix with great success: 2 parts garfava flour, 1 part sorghum flour, 3 parts cornstarch and 3 parts tapioca flour. Feel free to experiment with your own shortbread cookie mix though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour (Gluten-Free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- sweet rice flour, for dusting
- 1Cream together butter and sugar.
- 2Mix in flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum at low speed.
- 3Stir in vanilla. If dough is too dry, add milk 1 tbsp at a time. If dough is too sticky, add flour 1 tbsp at a time. I ended up adding about 3 tbsp extra flour.
- 4Roll dough to slightly less than 1/4" thick between two pieces of well floured parchment paper (I used sweet-rice-flour).
- 5Using a circle cookie cutter about 1.5-2" in diameter, make rounds out of the flattened dough. Use a knife to cut out the center of each round. The end result should look kind of like a flat doughnut.
- 6Reroll left over dough and continue making rounds until no dough remains. Keep rolling surfaces well floured.
- 7On a parchment lined baking sheet, bake cookies in preheated oven at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- 8When removing them from the oven, it is very important that you do not break them. They will be very fragile until they cool. Allow to cool completely before topping with caramel coconut mixture.
- 9Lower oven temperature to 300°F Spread coconut evenly on parchment lined baking sheet and toast for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes until coconut is evenly browned. Cool on baking sheet.
- 10Unwrap caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 45 seconds or so until well combined.
- 11Fold in shredded coconut.
- 12Using a high quality silicone spatula, spread caramel mixture even onto cooled cookies. You may break the cookies doing this, but do not worry, the caramel will hold it all together when cooled. Reheat caramel mixture as necessary while spreading.
- 13Allow caramel mixture to set.
- 14Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring every 40 seconds or so to prevent scorching.
- 15Turn cookies upside down on parchment paper and spread a thin layer of chocolate on bottom of cookies. Transfer cookies top-down to fridge to harden chocolate before proceeding to next step.
- 16Using the remaining melted chocolate (or melt more), pipe topping onto cookies. I used a plastic bag with a small hole cut in the corner.
- 17Allow chocolate topping to harden before storing in airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Samoas (Caramel Delites) (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.5
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.7 mg
- Sodium 217.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: