1/5 Photos of Samoas Bars - Just Like the Girl Scout Cookies!
2 hrs 25 mins
These bars are an easy-to-make copycat version of the coconut/caramel/chocolate/shortbread Girl Scout cookie that seem to come less and less to a box every year... maybe it's just me... I LOVE these cookies - I have been an addict since I was in the Girl Scouts at age 5, and upon first bite I knew these bars and I would have a long, loving relationship (when I'm not at the gym frantically trying to elliptical away the evidence of my coconut-caramel love affair). :) NOTE: Prep time includes cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2For the cookie base: Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
- 3In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter, until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- 4Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour and salt until mixture is crumbly, like wet sand.
- 5Pour crumbly dough into prepared pan and press into an even layer.
- 6Bake for 20-25 minutes, until base is set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 7For the topping: Unwrap the caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt.
- 8Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir a few times to help the caramel melt. When smooth, fold in toasted coconut with a spatula.
- 9Put dollops of the topping all over the shortbread base. Using the spatula, spread the topping in an even layer. Let topping set until cooled.
- 10When cooled, cut into 30 bars with a large knife or a pizza cutter.
- 11Once bars are cut, melt chocolate in a small bowl. Heat it on high in the microwave in 45-second intervals, stirring thoroughly to prevent scorching.
- 12Dip the base of each bar into the chocolate and place on a clean piece of wax paper.
- 13Use remaining chocolate (or melt a bit of additional chocolate, if necessary) to drizzle bars with chocolate to finish.
- 14Let chocolate set completely before storing in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Samoas Bars - Just Like the Girl Scout Cookies!
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.0
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 19.5 mg
- Sodium 141.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g