Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Little fried donuts with a tropical flavor of bananas. As an option, I have added crushed pineapple. The traditional panikeke is made with banana and rolled in cinnamon sugar. This recipe has an optional coconut syrup to dip the panikekes in. Posted here for ZWT7.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 bananas (very ripe and mashed)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple (optional)
- 6 cups oil (for frying)
- cinnamon-sugar mixture, for rolling
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder, stir in bananas, pineapple (if using),vanilla extract and water to make a sticky dough.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer, heat to 350 degrees. (Oil should be deep enough to completely cover the panikekes or at least 3" deep).
- Scoop up egg size dolops of dough, push off into oil, fry in small batches until they float and turn golden brown (about 3 min.), flip them over to fry on the other side, remove and drain on paper towel.
- Rolll in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. or dip in coconut syrup.
- Coconut Syrup:.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine water and sugar, cook 6-8 minutes, add coconut milk, sea salt and vanilla, cook until mixture forms a slightly thick syrup.
Not the way that I really wanted them to turn out (appearance wise), but all in all they were good doughnuts, The banana flavor really stood out . The deep frying of the doughnuts was a nice touch, the preparation of these was a little messy, (though it was probably me), but all in all a very nice treat for a Sunday morning, and a nice challenge for me, first time making doughnuts. Will do these again, as it saves the extra run to the donut shop, Kids loved them.<br/>Anyone wanting to try these please do so, just try not to be unorganized, and messy, as I was. I am petty sure I cold of been neater, but these are worth trying for a brunc, or morning company.