Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a variation of the Samoa Cookie Copycat recipe found here at Recipezaar posted by melismac. This is a much easier recipe and makes it more feasible for my hectic life!
- 1 box shortbread cookie (or homemade)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups toasted coconut
- 1 bag chocolate chips, divided
- Melt half the chocolate chips and spread them in a 9x13 lightly greased cake pan.
- Break up shortbread cookies into big pieces and layer on top of the chocolate.
- Toast Coconut (if needed) set aside.
- Prepare topping.
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup.
- Heat to a full boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour in sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking over low heat until candy thermometer reaches 220-228 degrees.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat until creamy.
- Immediately stir in toasted coconut and mix well.
- Spoon mixture over shortbread cookies and spread.
- Cool completely.
- Melt remaining chocolate chips and drizzle thinly over cookies and let chocolate harden at room temperature.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in airtight container.
Like others, I couldn't get the coconut and shortbread to stick together. I am going to keep trying to adjust by using a different shortbread recipe and lessen the coconut. The flavor is terrific and I kept sampling the broken pieces. Yum! Good for home but not to give as a gift.
I really liked how these taste. I have made them twice already, and will likely make them again. I haven't been able to get these to stay together well enough to cut them into a nice shaped bar. Luckily, I was only making them for my family and we don't care what it looks like or what layers were missing. SO GOOD, just wish it stuck together better.
These bar cookies were very easy to make and very rich and delicious. A couple of things: 1) the bar layers didn't really stay together (shortbread and coconut mixture didn't stick) when I removed them from the pan..I'm not sure if it was the shortbread cookies I used? 2) I'd recommend using more like 2/3 of the chocolate chips for the bottom of the cake pan and drizzling the remaining 1/3 melted chocolate on top. 3) Adding a little bit of milk to the melted chocolate makes it easier to spread and drizzle. Otherwise, these were delicious and a great way to simplify Recipe #37459