Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 18 mins
Mom found this recipe many many years ago in a magazine. We generally have this at least once a year.
- 4 lbs rump roast or 4 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided.
- Put oil& meat in a heavy pot or dutch oven.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Remove from pot& pour off fat.
- Put a rack in pot.
- Add meat& 3/4 cup water.
- Bring to a boil& Simmer 1 hour (meat will not be done).
- Remove meat.
- Set on a cutting board in a shallow pan.
- Cut meat in 1/2 inch slices.
- Remove rack from pot.
- Put sliced meat back in pot with any juices from the shallow pan.
- Add 3/4 cup water and remaining ingredients except last 2.
- Bring to a boil again, simmer covered (adding more water if needed) 1 1/2 hours or untill tender.
- Remove meat to a hot platter.
- Thicken broth with a small amount of flour& water.
- When thickened simmer 2 minute.
- Serve with meat.
- 6 servings.
All things considered that this just took about 31/2 hours start to table, I have to give this 5 Stars. I used fresh grated ginger and added a few sprigs of tyme. Also used 1/4 of vinegar and 1/2 cup water with the flour at the end to thicken. Meat was very tender and the gravy was spot on.