I found this on all recipes. It is a Somali recipe that is a lovely appetizer. It is often served during Ramadan. Shredded beef may be substituted for ground beef. Posted for ZWT4.
- 1 (14 ounce) package spring roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- oil (for frying)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, leek and garlic, and cook, until the onions are tender.
- Add ground beef, and cook until about halfway done. Season with cumin, cardamom, salt and pepper.
- Mix well, and continue cooking until beef has browned.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and water to make a thin paste.
- Using one wrapper at a time, fold into the shape of a cone.
- Fill the cone with the meat mixture, close the top, and seal with the paste. Repeat until wraps or filling are used up.
- Pour oil into a deep heavy pot to a depth of two to three inches.
- Heat to 365-375 degrees.
- There should be enough oil to submerge the wraps.
- Fry the sambusas a few at a time until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve while hot.