Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons anise seeds, toasted
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold,cutup
- 1 1⁄2 cups pine nuts, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sambuca liqueur (I use black, but you can use white or the red for a cinamon flavor!!)
- Place seeds in food processor; add flour, baking powder, zest and salt.
- Add butter; pulse until crumbly.
- Add 1 cup nuts and sugar.
- Pulse until nuts are finely ground.
- In bowl, mix eggs and liqueur.
- Add to flour mixture; pulse to blend.
- Place in bowl; stir in remaining nuts.
- Cover; chill 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 2 (16x1 1/4") logs; place 4 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 35 minutes or until firm; loosen with spatula.
- Slide onto a cutting board.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut log diagonally into 1/2" thick slices; lay cut side down on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes or until dry, turning slices over after 7 minutes.
- Cool completely.