Recipe by alice Dave
This is an amazing authentic dish. Very easy to make. I got this recipe once again from my cooking guru, Rupali. Everything she touches turns to gold, and this recipe is certainly gold. After the amazing flavor, the thing I love most about her recipe is that it's so easy to make. Very quick. All of these ingredients are available at any indian grocery store.
- 2 cups toor dal
- 8 ounces vegetable drumsticks
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- sambhar masala (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons jaggery
- 1 inch ball wet tamarind pulp
- salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons ghee (purified butter)
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 6 curry leaves
- 4 dried red chilies (whole)
- fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop all the vegetables finely. Drumsticks should be kept 2 inches long. Put veggies in a pressure cooker with the Toor dal and turmeric powder. Add enough water to cover the vegetables. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- While this is cooking soak the Tamarind in warm water. With your hand, loosen the pulp in the water then remove the pods.
- Open the pressure cooker and check the dal to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Add about 2 heaping tablespoons of Sambhar masala. Also add the coconut, jaggery, tamarind water, and salt to taste. Stir.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan, add asafetida powder and cumin seeds. Allow to splutter. Add the curry leaves, red chillies, cilantro, 1 teaspoons of sambhar powder. Add to mixture.
- Add salt, extra Sambhar and jaggery as needed. Make sure the mixture is very soupy. Serve with Idli and coconut chutney. Yum!