I saw Sam Champion preparing this cake on good Morning America this morning. It's his Dad's favorite and he requests it for his birthday every year. It looked absolutely amazing and everyone went crazy over the taste. PLEASE NOTE: It is important that you use coconut 'milk' and not coconut 'water'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 4 -5 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 1/2-3 cups flaked coconut (to cover cake)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter liberally and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- 3In an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- 4Slowly add the egg whites until incorporated.
- 5In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, the baking powder and the salt.
- 6Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until incorporated but don't over mix.
- 7Add the coconut flavoring, and the coconut milk until combined .
- 8Add 1 cup of flaked coconut.
- 9Divide the batter equally between the two prepared cake pans.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly golden and firm to the touch.
- 11Let cool in pan on wire racks until cakes are completely cool, then carefully unmold.
- 12Using a serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally into 2 equal layers (creating a total of 4 layers).
- 13To Make the Icing;.
- 14Cream the butter, shortening, and confectioner's sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy.
- 15Beat in the coconut flavoring and the coconut milk.
- 16In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups of the whipped frosting and 1½ cups of flaked coconut.
- 17Set aside.
- 18Assembling the Cake:.
- 19When ready to ice the cake, place the first cake layer on serving dish.
- 20Dollop 1/3 of the frosting with coconut flake added to it, and spread evenly with an offset metal spatula.
- 21Continue this process with each layer, smoothing over the extra frosting that may ooze out between each layer.
- 22With the remaining frosting (that does NOT contain flaked coconut), frost the top and sides of cake.
- 23Finish by gently pressing the remaining 2 1/2 – 3 cups of flaked coconut on the frosted cake, covering the cake entirely with the coconut.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sam Champion's Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2808 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 11488.7
- Calories from Fat 5473
- Total Fat 608.2 g
- Saturated Fat 389.7 g
- Cholesterol 854.0 mg
- Sodium 4541.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1506.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.1 g
- Sugars 1228.5 g
- Protein 68.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: