Salzburger Nockerln, or "Salzburg Dumplings," is a sweet soufflé or omelet that resembles three or more golden church domes in a baking dish. It is an easy recipe that is great breakfast or brunch idea as well as a dessert. I make vanilla sugar by putting a vanilla bean in a container with sugar, it sits in my pantry.... you could either buy vanilla sugar already made or just add real vanilla extract to the sugar. This is especially good with Vanilla Sauce, warm Chocolate Sauce, or cold Strawberry Sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- 2Place four 9" oval au gratin dishes (or one large oval glass/ceramic lasagna dish) on a baking sheet.
- 3In each small dish place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon preserves. (If you are using a lasagna pan, smear the bottom with the butter and then with preserves.).
- 4Combine egg whites, vanilla sugar, and lemon zest in a large metal bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 5Beat egg yolks with granulated sugar. Gently fold the egg yolks and flour into the meringue. Use a spatula to place three large mounds of the mixture into each au gratin dish. Lightly smooth the surface of each peak and valley.
- 6Bake for 8 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- 7Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salzburger Nockerln With Preserves
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.6
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 198.9 mg
- Sodium 133.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of