Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
i found think while helping god daughter about the depression.
- 7 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup lard
- 9 eggs
- 3 (8 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 3 (8 ounce) cans water
- 18 cups flour
- 18 teaspoons baking powder
- 7 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 9 teaspoons nutmeg
- Cream sugar and lard together beat eggs into mixture. Add evaporated milk.
- and water. Add water to creamed mixture. Mix flour, baking powder, salt.
- and nutmeg in large sieve and sift into other mixture. Add enough flour.
- to make a stiff dough. Roll and cut. Five pounds of lard are required to.
- fry the doughnuts.
Had to try this , mom and pop remenbered eating them during the depression. With steaming hot black coffee. Of course we cut the recipe down to 26 , rounded off the amounts, added 2/3c evaporated milk , instead of water and milk. Used butter instead of lard. Lard not being a staple in our home. . We couldn't bring ourselves to add a whole teaspoon of nutmeg, just used a 1/4 tsp and turns out we should have used at least a half teaspoon . Fried at 350 in 1" deep vegetable shorting , we will use deeper oil next time. Burned a couple at the bottom of the pan until we got the timming right .These cooked in a flash.You need to turn once to brown both sides. Mom and pop both loved them , just missed the big nutmeg taste, should have known . A nice family recipe to make. Every one can help with something . really much quicker than the 50 minutes prep time stated . We enjoyed this flash from the past . It is a gret autum evening snack with hot tea or hot chocolate .