Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
No, no tortillas were harmed in the making of this cake. It is similar to a pound cake and gets its unique flavor from a small amount of parmesan cheese. I was first introduced to this cake by my friend Rina and was so happy when I stumbled upon the recipe. It is especially good with coffee for breakfast. From Gourmet
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising, sift before measuring)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 ounce finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Line bottom and sides of 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat butter and sugar in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs, sour cream, and cheese.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in milk. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter to pan and smooth top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using). Bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool to warm in pan, 20 to 30 minutes. Turn cake out onto a rack. Serve cake slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Cooks' note:
- Cake keeps in an airtight container at room temperature 3 days.