Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The mixture of salty from the saltines, and the sweetness from the milk chocolate, is the perfect combo. My friends and family love eating these for dessert, or just in their lunches. They're big hits at dinner parties of all casual-ness.
- 35 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 20 ounces milk chocolate candy bars, broken into pieces
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Lightly spray with non-stick spray.
- Line the saltine crackers, salty side up in the baking sheet.
- In a saucepan, boil butter and sugar for 3 minutes, stirring off and on. Remove from heat stir in extract. Pour the sugar mixture over the saltine crackers, bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, now is when you top with the chocolate bars, spread them evenly. They will begin to melt.
- Place in the refrigerator up to 10 minutes. Cut them into "saltine size" pieces (makes it a whole lot easier to eat, and cut out).
- Transfer pieces to waxed paper, allow to cool completely covered in the refrigerator. Stay fresh up to 3 days in refrigerator.
Made for PAC, Spring 2007 ~ HOW GREAT, & HOW DIFFERENT, at least it was for most of those who ate them [I love dipping salty pretzels in chocolate, anyway, so....]! These are great additions to a finger food buffet & are easy-to-make! Thanks for the recipe!