Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, by Maria del Mar Sacasa, found on Serious Eats. A variation on Hot Buttered Rum. More at: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/salty-maple-buttered-cider-hot-cider-cocktail-recipe-rum-drink-winter.html
OPTIONAL SALT RIM
- maldon salt, for rimming glasses
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
- 4 ounces dark rum
- 8 ounces apple cider
- OPTIONAL SALT RIM:.
- Spread Maldon salt on a small plate. Rub the rim of 2 heatproof glasses or mugs with the lemon half, then dip in salt.
- Combine the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla bean seeds in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine rum and cider in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour the rum-cider mixture into prepared glasses, then top each with half of the butter-syrup mixture.
This was Yummy but very strong, I will definitely reduce the amount of alcohol next time, and we used vanilla extract instead of vanilla beans.