Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This will not of coarse remove all the salt from the ham but it will intensely reduce the salty flavor after it is cooked, you must use a fully cooked ham for this --- plan ahead the ham must be refrigerated 24 hours before cooking.
- 1 (8 -10 lb) fully-cooked spiral ham
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 3 cups milk (or as needed to cover the bottom of the pan 1/4-inch deep)
- 3 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, well drained
- Trim any visible fat from the surface of the ham and place cut-side down into a roasting pan.
- Pour enough milk over the ham so that it ends up about 1/4-inch deep in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Use your hands to pack the ham in a generous coating of brown sugar.
- Cover the brown sugar with a layer of crushed pineapple packed in the same manner (it's okay to have a few bare spots but try to cover as best you can).
- Cover the ham with heavy foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook the ham preheat oven to 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Leave the foil on the ham and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and baste with any juices that are on the bottom of the pan.
- Continue roasting for another 35-40 minutes or until the ham is heated through.