Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
These walnuts are great to serve to you guests at a party...the combination of sweet and salty is a different taste from the regular spiced or sweet nuts...I think you will really go for these...make lots of these, cause you will need them...they go fast! Note: these nuts will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week, also, try to use only lard if you can for stir-frying the nuts, as it produces better results.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups halved shelled walnuts (1 pound)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup lard or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, water, and salt to a boil over high heat; boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour into large bowl; add walnuts, cinnamon and pepper; stirring to mix.
- Let stand 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in wok or skillet, heat lard over med-high heat.
- Stir fry walnut mixture until slightly darkened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain in metal colander; discard oil.
- Spread on baking sheet; let cool to room temperature.
Nice to crunch to these nuts! Next time I might sprinkle some additional salt on them when I pull them out of the oil. Thanks for the recipe Kit!