Recipe by kmergirl
My friend shares this recipe that she found in her mother's recipe box a few months ago. Weber thinks it dates back to the 1930s. She made this unusual cake and says that it was quite good.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 20 unsalted saltine crackers
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, toasted chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 1 cup crumbled macaroons
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream, for 1 cup whipped
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat 5 egg yolks with sugar.
- Place crackers in a plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin until crushed to fine crumbs.
- Add to sugar mixture.
- Add almonds, almond extract and salt and combine well.
- In another bowl, beat 5 egg whites until stiff and glossy.
- Fold into almond batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake tests done; check at 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- When cake is cool, remove sides of springform pan.
- Spread top of cake with apricot jam and sprinkle with cookie crumbs.
- Whip cream and spread over top of cake.