Top Review by wendylou
Dancer - your were a standing ovation at my dinner party. The saltimboccas was wonderful. The only thing I did was to take the roasted red peppers from 1Steve's recipe # 18483 and add it on top of the prosciutto along with a slice of mozzarella cheese.The fresh sage gave it a nice flavour.This is a keeper thanks again.
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb thinly sliced veal scallopini
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- flour (for dredging)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick stems off sage leaves, wash and dry.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan until very hot and deep-fry sage leaves for 10-15 seconds.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Pound veal until very thin.
- Lay slices of prosciutto and sage leaves on 3 of the slices of veal.
- Lightly salt and pepper.
- Top with the other 3 slices of veal.
- Press together.
- Cut each envelope into 3 even squares.
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a sauté pan.
- Place the saltimboccas into the flour, dredge on both sides and pat off excess.
- Place in very hot sauté pan and cook about 1 minute.
- Carefully turn over and cook the other side until the veal is cooked through and lightly browned.
- As the saltimboccas are finished, place on a warm plate.
- When they are all cooked, add wine and chicken stock to deglaze the pan.
- Boil until reduced by half and add butter.
- To serve, spoon a little of the sauce over each saltimbocca.