Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Every Day with Rachael Ray September 2007
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground veal
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 15 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices prosciutto (about 1/4 pound)
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese (sliced or shredded)
- 8 slices semolina bread (1-inch thick)
- 2 cups chopped hearts romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- In a medium bowl, mix the veal, garlic and sage; season with salt and pepper. Form 4 patties, pressing your thumb in the center of each burger to prevent it from bulging while cooking.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat.
- Add the burger patties and cook through, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Top the burgers with the prosciutto and fontina. Cover the skillet to melt the cheese, about 3 minutes.
- While the burgers cook, toast the bread and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, dress the lettuce with the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and the lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set each burger on a toasted bread slice; top with the romaine and another toasted bread slice.
Very nice garlcky flavor, just the portion size is a bit too large. I served it on a bed of lettuce rather than on the toasted bread.