Recipe by WizzyTheStick
A shredded salt cod and vegetable salad. Buljol is a corruption of the French brûle gueule, which means "burn mouth". A popular dish in Trinidad and indeeed throughout the Caribbean. Serve with Mama's Fry Bakes ( St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
- 1⁄2 lb salt cod fish, boneless
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sweet pepper, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 scotch bonnet peppers (optional) or 1⁄2 habanero (optional)
- 1⁄2 lime (optional)
- Break fish in pieces and place in saucepan with water and boil 10-15 minutes Drain.
- Taste fish at this point to check salt content. If at this point it is still too salty repeat step 1.
- Shred fish with your fingers.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add onion. Stir in the fish, sweet peppers and hot pepper. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, mix well and cook until tomatoes are just soft. Add freshly grated black pepper. Squeeze half lime over mixture.
- Serve with , coconut bake or other hearty bread and sliced avocado pear.