Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 mins
From a chef in the Caribbean.
- 1 lb saltfish like cod (deboned fish will speed up your prep)
- 6 ounces self-rising flour
- 1 ounce mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 pint water
- pepper, to taste
- oil (for deep frying)
- Wash the saltfish and put into a pan with water, allowing it to cover the fish.
- Leave to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Discard the cooking water.
- Now place cold water on the saltfish and let it stand for 15 minutes, allowing the fish to cool down.
- When the fish is cool, discard this water as well and debone the fish.
- Flake the fish and put it into a deep mixing bowl.
- Add the curry powder, onion, flour and pepper to season. Adjust to your taste if desired.
- Mix it all together, adding water to create a thickish consistency.
- Heat the frying oil in a deep pan.
- When the oil is hot take a tablespoon, scoop up the mixture and drop it slowly into the hot oil.
- Allow each tablespoonful of mixture to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until each ball is golden brown.
- Serve with white rice, spinach or calalloo, or any vegetable of your choice.