Recipe by HawaiiChef79
This is a traditional modern Hawaiian dish. It is perfect for those dog days of summer when you want a cool salad. ***NOTE*** Salted Salmon is also known as cured salmon. If it's not available at our supermarket, there is a recipe here Freshly Salted Salmon that I have never tried, but looks just right! By the way, "lomi-lomi" meand massage-massage in Hawaiian, and that's what you do to make this salad.
Top Review by Pneuma
omg, this is fabulous! I imagine myself in the beach as I eat this! It's so refreshingly cool..the salty taste balanced by the fresh tomatoes and onions..perfect! Great for picnics and summers. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
- 2 cups salted salmon, cut into tiny cubes
- 6 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large maui onions or 1 large other sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped, using only greens
- 1 teaspoon hawaiian salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup ice, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together salmon, tomatoes, onions and salt.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Right before serving, add crushed ice.
- ***NOTE*** Please taste your salted salmon before making this recipe. If it's too salty, you have to soak it over night in cold water. If it's not salty enough, add more salt. Also, some people (like my father) like to add some spice to this, so, you could add some Hawaiian red chili peppers, or red pepper flakes to kick it up a bit.