Recipe by Montana Heart Song
A friend brought over a 50# bag of large sunflower seeds. I decided to try to salt and dry some,give out to friends and kids.If you have an opportunity to purchase Sigco Sun Products brand,South Dakota. They are twice as large as the ones you purchase in the store.This is so easy!
Top Review by Krsi Sue
Haven't tried this yet, so cannot rate it - - but wanted to add a note, that if making large amounts of this, be sure to put the excess in the freezer as nutmeats will turn stale.
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sunflower seeds in colandar and wash with warm running water.
- Shake dry in colandar.
- Place in tall stockpot.
- Add sunflower seeds.
- Add 8 cups water and canning salt.
- Set in a cool room or cold porch.
- The seeds will swell some.
- Let set for 48 hours, the longer you set, the longer the brine has a chance to work.
- I turned with a stainless steel spoon 4 times during this process.
- Drain the seeds, save the brine, if you want to make another batch.
- Pour the seeds into a terry cloth towel and wrap and press with your hand.
- Spread out on baking trays.
- Place in a cold oven.
- Heat oven to 250*.
- Turn every hour with a spatula.
- Dry from 3 to 4 hours. It depends on the amount of seeds you place on your trays.