Prep 10 mins
Cook 336 hrs
This comes from a Canadian web site, here is what was said about these herbs:These seasonings seem to be added to a lot of traditional French- Canadian recipes. "Herbs preserved with vegetables and salt make a lively seasoning for soups-particularly pea soup - sauces, stews and omelettes. A commercial brand, Les Herbes Salees du bas du fleuve, is marketed by J.Y. Roy of St. Flavie, Quebec. This recipe comes from the Metis district."
- 1 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup chopped fresh savory
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh chervil
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup coarse salt
- In a large bowl, combine herbs and vegetables.
- Layer 1 inch of herb mixture in the bottom of a crock or glass bowl and sprinkle with some of the salt.
- Repeat layers until all of the herb mixture and salt is used.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 weeks.
- Drain off accumulated liquid and pack herb mixture into sterilized jars.
I love this herb mixture, I have been using it for many years. I add it to soups, stews, gravy etc.. just remember it is very salty so taste your dish before adding the herbs!!