Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was from Country Living. The reader says the combination of caramel and sea salt gives this childhood treat a grown-up flavor. I'm going to make this for my co-workers and will give you an update in September on how they liked it.
- vegetable oil, for greasing dishes
- 8 cups puffed rice cereal
- 3⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- Liberally oil a large mixing bowl and a 9-by-13 inch baking dish. Place cereal in bowl and set it and dish aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine corn syrup, condensed milk, sugars, butter and sea salt. Allow mixture to come to a boil, while stirring continuously until a light golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat, stir in vanilla, and immediately pour over cereal. Stir to completely mix, and then evenly spread in prepared baking pan.
- Set aside to let cool, about 45 minutes. Invert and release from pan. Drizzle with melted chocolate and refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Cut into 16 bars.