Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Caramel AND Cream Cheese!!! As an idea, decorate top of cake or cupcakes after frosting with chocolate covered espresso beans.
For the Salted Caramel
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 -5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup salted caramel (recipe above)
- Combine the sugar, water and corn syrup in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Do not open lid.
- After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- Do not stir from this point on, but instead swirl the liquid around the pan so that the caramel doesn’t burn. Stirring forms sugar crystals and it will become grainey.
- Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
- Carefully pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot. Stir the mixture; add the butter, lemon juice and salt. Stir, again, until combined.
- Pour caramel into a heat-proof measuring cup. Stir occasionally and allow to cool until thickened and warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
- Add 4 cups sifted powdered sugar into the butter/cream cheese mixture and beat to combine.
- Add 3/4 cup of the prepared salted caramel and beat to combine.
- Add additional powdered sugar until the frosting is the sweetness and consistency desired.