Recipe by cookiedog
I plan on making this over the holidays. The time includes chill time in the fridge. Toffee keeps for 2 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature or for a month if chilled. Please be careful while working with the hot toffee and keep some ice water nearby.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This was incredible - DH raved about it! I used dark chocolate instead of bittersweet and it was just perfect - got several requests for the recipe from friends who tried the toffee. Thanks for posting, dear co-Unrulie :) Actually made for ZWT6 for the Unrulies Under The Influence but unluckily forgot to post the review in time!
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons fleur de sel or 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Put pecans on a baking sheet and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 8 minutes. When cool, chop roughly. Divide into 2 batches; chop 1 batch finely. Set both batches aside.
- Put sugar, butter, salt, and 3/4 cup water in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. When butter and sugar are melted, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is a deep golden brown and measures 310° on a candy thermometer, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla (mixture will bubble up) and finely chopped pecans. Pour into a 10- by 15-in. rimmed baking sheet. Let toffee cool until set, at least 30 minutes. (For even pieces, you can ?score? the toffee by cutting it with a sharp knife after it has set for about 10 minutes, scoring into 5 strips lengthwise and 8 strips crosswise to yield 40 pieces. Wipe knife clean with warm water after each slice for easier cutting.).
- Chop chocolate and put in a medium metal bowl. Fill an 8- or 10-in. frying pan with 1/2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Take off heat and put bowl of chocolate in the water. Let sit about 5 minutes. Stir chocolate until melted. Pour over toffee; with a knife or offset spatula, spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate with roughly chopped pecans. Let sit 20 minutes, or until chocolate is cool but still a bit soft. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
- To remove, gently twist pan to release toffee, then chop or break into chunks. Store in an airtight container.