Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Kelsey Nixon of the Food Channel with some minor changes. I added the option of coffee ice cream to make a Salted Caramel Coffee Latte Milkshake. Prepare the Salted Caramel Sauce in advance and refrigerate. What a wonderful end to any special dinner this would make.
- 1 pint ice cream, vanilla bean or 1 pint coffee, flavored
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup salted caramel sauce (recipe follows)
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, crushed or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the salted caramel sauce:.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals on the side of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble. Stir in the unsalted butter and salt. Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool. Keeps refrigerated for for 2 weeks.
- For the salted caramel milkshake:.
- Combine the ice cream, milk and caramel sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
Made the vanilla option and am loving it! Salty sweet is tantalisingly good.