Recipe by gailanng
This super easy caramel lovers' (non-chocolate) dream pie is from Simplethings Sandwich & Pie Shop in Los Angeles. The filling is sweetened condensed milk sprinkled lightly with sea salt and baked until thick and gooey, then chilled in a simple graham cracker crust. Chill time not included. To Make Ahead: The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 up to 5 days ahead. Refrigerate the crust and filling separately.
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 5 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- fleur de sel
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and light brown sugar until the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumbs evenly into a 9-inch glass or metal pie plate. Bake for about 10 minutes, just until lightly browned. Let cool. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Scrape the condensed milk into a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle with a scant 1/2 teaspoon of fleur de sel. Cover the dish with foil and place it in a roasting pan. Add enough hot water to the pan to reach one-third of the way up the side of the baking dish. Bake, lifting the foil to stir 2 or 3 times, until the condensed milk is golden and thickened, about 2 hours; add more water to the roasting pan as necessary (watch water level carefully). The consistency of the caramel should be like dulce de leche. Don't worry if it is lumpy; it will smooth out as it chills. (You may have many lumps, but it will work out.)
- Scrape the caramel filling into the pie crust, smoothing the top. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with vegetable oil spray and cover the pie. Refrigerate until the filling is chilled and set, at least 4 hours.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream with the confectioners' sugar until very firm peaks form. Remove the plastic. Mound the whipped cream on top of the pie and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Cut into wedges and serve.