Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a classic recipe updated with a sprinkle of kosher salt. From Southern Living.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Line a 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil; lightly grease foil. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in prepared pan, slightly overlapping edges.
- Combine sugar, butter, and cream in a medium-size heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and pecans. Pour butter mixture over crackers, spreading to coat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 11 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Immediately sprinkle with salt, and slide foil from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely (about 30 minutes). Break into bars.
- Chocolate-Pecan-Caramel Bars: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 4. Top warm bars with 1 cup dark chocolate morsels. Let stand 3 minutes, and spread chocolate over bars. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 5. Chill 20 minutes before serving.
My 11 year old son helped me whip up a batch of these tasty treats. thanks for an easy and delicious recipe!
Wow! These are similar to a cracker toffee I make every holiday with saltines and chocolate chips; this is an awesome variation! Will try soon and rate then :)
Just loved these! They are very similar to something I make, but the added cream in this recipe makes for a more 'caramel' taste. I especially love the sprinkling of salt, although I used some sea salt flakes that I had on hand. I made a 'few' trays of these and handed them out to my friends over the holidays! Thanks so much for sharing, gailanng!