Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Unbelievably buttery and smooth, the addition of dark, slightly bitter caramel and an extra pinch of salt creates a sophisticated treat that elevates any baked good. My favorite uses are spread over 24 vanilla cupcakes, or with my Very Good Chocolate Cake.
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Briefly stir together granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture turns dark amber in color, 6-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly add in cream and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Set aside until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Beat butter and salt on high in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add powdered sugar, and mix until completely incorporated.
- Turn mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add caramel. Beat frosting on medium-high speed until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes.
- For easiest spreading, cover and refrigerate until stiff, about 45 minutes, before using. If not, spread and enjoy!