Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an option for when you want gooey, chocolatey, salty goodness - brownies, caramel, pretzels, peanuts and chocolate.
- 1 (397 g) package caramel candies
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (340 g) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts (or another nut, like pecans)
- 1 cup pretzel, gently broken
- The first thing you have to have is a 9x9-inch pan of brownies, boxed or your favorite recipe, baked and cooled in pan.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine caramel candies and milk. Heat on high in 30 second bursts, stirring in-between, until melted and smooth. Pour mixture over brownies and spread to edges. Set aside to cool. When caramel has cooled and firmed up a bit, make the next layer.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and shortening. Heat on high in 30-second bursts, stirring in-between, until melted and smooth. Add peanuts and pretzels, then stir gently.
- Top caramel with chocolate mixture, spooning mixture over entire surface. Let cool and harden before cutting. Wrap tightly or store in an airtight container.
Wow, what a way to liven up a boxed brownie mix. Heavenly!
Really good and rich. Nice combination of sweet and salty. When I make the recipe again, I will remember not to spread the top layers on too thick because I almost wound up with more topping than brownie. The brownie should also ye completely cooled and the caramel topping barley warm. If not, the caramel will run down the sides of the brownie. After I layered on the toppings, I placed the brownies in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to cool. It made cutting them easy.