Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw these on a site called Lizzies Tips for Everyday Living. I am putting them here for safe-keeping. They look sooo yummy, and easy too! Graham cracker crust, homemade salted caramel, thick chocolate ganache and toffee bits. These can easily be made gluten free. Freezer friendly too. She does not list amount of servings or time to make, so I am just guessing there. If you go see the picture on the site, you will see why I want to make this SOON!
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (8 tablespoons)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups heavy cream, warmed
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (more if needed)
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir crumbs, sugar and melted butter together and put into an 8X8 pan lined with non-stick foil.
- Bake at 350 for 7 to 10 minutes and cool.
- For caramel:.
- Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large dutch oven, at least 6 quarts.
- Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy.
- Use a wooden spoon and begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well.
- The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and a light amber color.
- Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown and starts to smoke. The darker you cook the sugar without burning it, the better the sauce will be, but be careful not to let it burn.
- Remove from the heat and quickly stir in about 1/4 of the warmed (but not hot) cream.
- The mixture will bubble up quickly, so you may wish to wear an oven mitt. Remove from heat and continue to whisk in the rest of the cream, stirring as you go to make sure it's smooth.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla and salt.
- If there are clumps return to the heat and keep stirring to smooth it out.
- Strain into a pyrex measuring cup and let cool.
- Will store in fridge up to one month.
- Top cooled crust with approximately 1 cup of salted caramel.
- Melt bag of chocolate chips with the cream and pour on top of the caramel. This can be done either on the stove top or the microwave.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits and chill until firm.
- Stores well in the freezer.