Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Flaky shortbread topped with creamy caramel. What's Gaby Cooking Blogsite's spin on a Ladies Home Journal recipe. I love that she doubled the caramel layer. Chill time not included.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- flaked sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9-by-9-inch pan with parchment paper with the edges of the parchment hanging over the sides. This will make removing the bars easier.
- For the crust: In a large bowl combine the melted butter, sugar and salt with a fork. Add the yolk and combine with the fork. Add the flour, combining the dough until flaky. Transfer the dough into the parchment lined pan; pressing mixture evenly over the bottom. Refrigerate this for 30 minutes. Once chilled, bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned; remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- For the caramel: Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine the topping ingredients; butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, making sure the sugar is dissolved. Stir for about 5-10 minutes until the mixture is thick and bubbly. The caramel should reach 230 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and pour on top of the shortbread.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Then sprinkle with the sea salt flakes and serve.