Recipe by gailanng
A reinvented rice crispy treat. When melting the mashmallows, they should only be warmed until they melt. Anything more and they lose their gooeyness.
Top Review by verruka_8165808
I didn't even fully brown the butter, and I used brown rice krispies and they were delicious. Salt was a fabulous touch. Super easy and fast I quickly devoured all the leftover gooey crispies. And then two big squares before they were cool...
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, heaping
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter, or coat with non-stick spray, an 8-inch square cake pan with 2-inch sides.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. It will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty. Stir frequently, scraping up any bits from the bottom as you do. Don’t take your eyes off the pot as while you may be impatient for it to start browning, the period between the time the butter begins to take on color and the point where it burns is often less than a minute.
- As soon as the butter takes on a nutty color, turn the heat off and stir in the marshmallows. The residual heat from the melted butter should be enough to melt them, but if it is not, turn it back on low until the marshmallows are smooth.
- Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the salt and cereal together. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Use a piece of waxed or parchment paper sprayed with oil to press it firmly and evenly into the edges and corners.
- Let cool then cut into squares.