1 hr 10 mins
A twist on an a southern specialty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4 eggs, beaten well
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 1/2 teaspoons Bourbon
- 2 cups raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup caramel topping, plus about 1/4 c. more for drizzling on top
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Using a mixer on low, work the flour and powdered sugar into the cold butter and shortening until you have a relatively uniform, crumbly mixture.
- 3Make a “well” in the middle of the mixture and pour the vinegar plus 1 tablespoon ice water into it.
- 4Use your hands to delicately incorporate the liquid, starting from the center of the well and working outward.
- 5Add to the mixture the remainding 1 tablespoon ice water, adding more if necessary, until you have a dough that holds together in a ball, but does not stick to your hands.
- 6Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Place the crust into a greased 9" pie dish and prick the bottom several times with a fork.
- 7For the Filling: Mix the brown sugar, white sugar, salt and melted butter in a large bowl.
- 8Add the boiling water and stir until sugar and salt dissolve.
- 9Add the beaten eggs and milk and mix well. If you want a very boozy-tasting pie, add 1 1/2 teaspoon bourbon. Otherwise, add 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 10Mix in the pecans.
- 11Spread 1/4 cup caramel on bottom of prepared crust. Heat up the caramel first if it helps to spread it.
- 12Pour the filling into the crust and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350.
- 13Bake about 30 minutes more, or until the pie puffs up, and a knife inserted into the center comes out relatively clean.
- 14Cool the pie for at least two hours. Before serving, drizzle about 1/4 cup more caramel on top. It helps to heat up the caramel for this step as well.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salted Bourbon Caramel Pecan Pie
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 849.4
- Calories from Fat 535
- Total Fat 59.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 192.2 mg
- Sodium 526.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 45.6 g
- Protein 10.2 g