Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A twist on an a southern specialty.
Make and share this Salted Bourbon Caramel Pecan Pie recipe from Food.com.
For the Crust
- 1⁄3 cup butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 4 eggs, beaten well
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Bourbon
- 2 cups raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup caramel topping, plus about 1/4 c. more for drizzling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a mixer on low, work the flour and powdered sugar into the cold butter and shortening until you have a relatively uniform, crumbly mixture.
- Make a “well” in the middle of the mixture and pour the vinegar plus 1 tablespoon ice water into it.
- Use your hands to delicately incorporate the liquid, starting from the center of the well and working outward.
- Add to the mixture the remainding 1 tablespoon ice water, adding more if necessary, until you have a dough that holds together in a ball, but does not stick to your hands.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Place the crust into a greased 9" pie dish and prick the bottom several times with a fork.
- For the Filling: Mix the brown sugar, white sugar, salt and melted butter in a large bowl.
- Add the boiling water and stir until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Add the beaten eggs and milk and mix well. If you want a very boozy-tasting pie, add 1 1/2 teaspoon bourbon. Otherwise, add 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Mix in the pecans.
- Spread 1/4 cup caramel on bottom of prepared crust. Heat up the caramel first if it helps to spread it.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350.
- Bake about 30 minutes more, or until the pie puffs up, and a knife inserted into the center comes out relatively clean.
- Cool the pie for at least two hours. Before serving, drizzle about 1/4 cup more caramel on top. It helps to heat up the caramel for this step as well.