1/1 Photo of Salt-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
From Tom Douglas of the Dahlia Lounge in Seattle. I admit it - when I first saw the amount of salt in this recipes I thought, "WHAT?" but Chef Douglas is incredible so I decided to trust him and try this recipe just like he said to. What can I say - it's just delicious. My favorite way to roast a chicken now. You will be converted, too, once you try it. Great with mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped freesh thyme, stems reserved to stuff into the cavity
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken, excess fat trimmed,rinsed inside and out and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1Mix the salt, pepper and thyme.
- 2Lay the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan and rub the mixture all over the skin on both sides.
- 3Refrigerate uncovered overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- 4Oven to 400 degrees F.
- 5Put the lemon quarters, garlic and thyme stems inside the cavity of the chicken.
- 6Brush the chicken with some of the melted butter.
- 7Roast, basting every 20 minutes or so (first with melted butter, then with any fat and juices accumulating in the pan).
- 8The chicken should be done in about an hour, but make sure by testing the thigh for a temperature of 170 degrees F.
- 9Let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salt-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 941.1
- Calories from Fat 616
- Total Fat 68.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 320.5 mg
- Sodium 5512.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 74.3 g