Recipe by Sharon123
Pears roasted in salt, drizzled with caramel sauce. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? Adapted from Martha Stewart magazine.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Too bad there's not some way of re-adjusting the amount of salt so that the Nutritional Facts actually includes only the much lower amount you might expect to be included in the final product! That said, we had & beautiful & extremely tasty dessert! Loved the salt-&-caramel combo & will be making these again, for sure! Thanks so much for this great recipe keeper!
- 6 bosc pears (around 6 ounces each)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs coarse salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into little pieces
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange the pears upright in an 8" ceramic dish that is 4 inches deep. Cover pears with salt, allowing stems to stick out. Bake until pears are tender when pricked with a fork, 60 to 75 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until syrup comes to a boil, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush a couple of times to prevent crystals from forming. Let boil, swirling the pan occasionally, until medium amber. Remove from heat, and carefully stir in butter and cream (watch out for steaming and splattering!).
- Remove pears from the salt, letting a small amount to cling to each pear. Place each pear on a serving plate. Pour caramel sauce over top, and serve. Enjoy!