Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tucked in a bed of salt, the pears become golden and slightly crispy. Look for firm but ripe pears for a perfect appetizer to serve with wine or after dinner with port. These are also delicious served warm on their own.
- 4 Anjou pears
- 5 cups coarse pickling salt
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 4 star anise
- 4 slices fresh ginger, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 4 ounces brie cheese, cheese
- 1⁄2 cup roasted almonds
- Using a melon baller, or small spoon, scoop out the bottom and core of each pear.
- Pour 1/2 of the salt into a deep casserole dish and push pears stem side down in salt and cover with remaining salt, leaving pear cavities open.
- Divide cloves, cinnamon, star anise, and ginger among pear cavities. Drizzle each with liqueur. Bake in a 350F oven for about 1 hour or until tender when pierced with knife.
- Remove pears from salt and brush any salt off. Remove spices and cut each pear into six thick slices. Serve with cheese and nuts.