Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal
- 4 cups sweet milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons Crisco or 5 tablespoons other shortening
- 10 1⁄2 cups bread flour, sifted
- Scald 1 cup milk and pour over corn meal.
- Let stand in warm place to ferment, almost 24 hours.
- Heat 3 cups milk until lukewarm, with salt, sugar and Crisco.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour, then corn meal mixture. Place bowl containing these ingredients in pan of lukewarm water for about 2 hours or until bubbles work up from the bottom.
- Then stir in 5 cups flour and knead in 2 1/2 cups.
- Place dough in three 5 x 10-inch pans until it has doubled in size. Bake in moderate oven for about 10 minutes; then increase heat to moderately hot oven gradually.
- Bake bread for 45 to 60 minutes in all.
- Do not attempt to bake bread in cold damp weather, unless house is warm.
- Be sure to protect batter from drafts.