Recipe by PrimQuilter
I am always asking the Penzeys store here if they have come up with a salt free taco seasoning and to my suprise the girls there concocted one! This is from Lynn, an employee at the local store. All of the following ingredients are Penzeys spices so it might not taste the same if you use another brand. The ingredient list makes a bit more than 4 T. which is for 1 pound of meat. Please adjust accordingly.
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato powder
- 1 tablespoon spanish smoked paprika or 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jalapeno powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Brown 1 pound of ground beef and drain off fat.
- Sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons of seasoning over beef, stirring to coat.
- Add 3/4 cup water, stirring to blend.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- ETA: When posted, Zaar is splitting the tomato powder up and showing it as tomato, powder. These are not tomatoes, but powder bought from Penzeys. This could also be the cause of it showing 7mg of sodium as well.