Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have not tried this, but posted for those who need to reduce their salt intake. From "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving". You'll need fresh horseradish root and grape leaves (the grape leaves will help keep them crisp). If you can't find fresh horseradish, just omit it. Looking forward to hearing how it works out!
- 12 -16 small pickling cucumbers (about 3 lb.)
- 3 inches by 1-inch piece fresh horseradish
- 20 fluid ounces white vinegar
- 16 fluid ounces water
- 4 fresh grape leaves, washed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 heads fresh dill (or 4 tsp. dill seeds)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Cut a thin slice from the blossom end of each cucumber. Cut horseradish into 4 lengthwise pieces and reserve.
- Combine vinegar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Place 1 piece horseradish, 1 grape leaf, i garlic clove, 1 head dill, and 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed in each clean jar. Pack cucumbers in jars.
- Pour boiling vinegar mixture over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes for pints, 15 minutes for quarts.