Recipe by Manami
Soak salt fish or codfish overnight. This is the Jamaican version as I know it for Bacalaitos. I am sure this recipe is not the absolutely correct but it is good, found it tucked in a folder with my recipes to post, to try or both.
- 1⁄4 lb salt cod fish
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons scotch bonnet peppers (seeded & chopped) or 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 eggs, separated
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak salt codfish in water several hours, or preferably overnight.
- Drain; pour the boiling water over fish and cool.
- Drain off water and slowly combine it with flour in a bowl, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Rinse fish in fresh cold water, remove any skin and bones, then shred very finely.
- Add fish, onion, garlic, Scotch Bonnet or jalapeno pepper, chives, salt, black pepper, thyme and egg yolks to flour mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet to 375F (1 90C or until a 1 inch bread cube turns golden brown in 50 seconds.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into fish mixture along with vinegar.
- Drop this batter by tablespoons into hot oil; fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.