Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This Portugese dish is delicious for lunch, dinner, or even brunch.
- 1 lb salt cod fish
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 4 -5 eggs, scrambled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cover salt cod with water and soak overnight.
- Drain, cover with fresh water and bring to simmer point.
- Drain, taste for saltiness and simmer again if necessary.
- When enough salt has been removed, drain and remove skin and bones from fish.
- Flake fish and place in 1 ½ to 2 qt casserole.
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Fry onion, green pepper and tomatoes 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour half the vegetables over the cod, combining gently with fork.
- Add scrambled eggs in one layer and top with remaining vegetables.
- Crumble bacon over casserole and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for about 20 minutes.
This was a hit at my house. Even hubby who sneers at salt cod liked it.
I don't know if my vote counts because I changed so much. . . but anyway, it was so tasty! I didn't add bacon, so I added a cajun spice blend for some kick and saltiness. And I only used egg whites. And I only had a red pepper on hand, not green. But this made for a delicious high protein, high antioxidant, low fat meal that I will make again.