Prep 24 hrs 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful salad for the summer. It is a meal all on its own. I some times like to change it around a bit, so instead of potatoes, I will at times substitute the potatoes for chickpeas or black eye beans. This is why I love this salad you can change it around to your own liking, as long as you use the main ingredient, cod, onion, olive oil, and the vinegar, the rest you can add anything. This is one of my favourite ways. In the olden days this would be a poor mans dish, people had to make do with very little, with what ever they had on hand. They had to grow everthing, and only bought what was a necessity, like fish, for here in Portugal back then fish was for the poor. Times have changed and no longer is this a poor mans dish, but rather a dish that can be savored by anyone in general, rich, or poor! I do hope you will give it a try, salted cod may not have a great smell, (LOL) But the taste is wroth it! P.S. In this recipe do NOT cook the cod. of making it
- First soak your cod 24 hours, changing the water 3-4 times.
- Next day remove cod from water and remove the skin and remove all the bones; set aside. You then shred it ( unravel ) with your hand (fingers) and set aside in a bowl.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes with the skin in salted boiling water.
- Also boil your eggs.
- When all is cooked and cooled you then remove skin from the potatoes and peel the eggs, cut potatoes into bite size pieces, and quarter eggs.
- Now peel the onion and garlic cloves, slice the onion in thin circles and chop the garlic finely.
- Place everything in a glass salad bowl, for the exception of the eggs, and tomatoes that are also sliced into quarters.
- Season to your own taste with the olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper to your own taste.
- Decorate with the eggs and tomatoes, and olives, sprinkle the chopped parsley over the top. Enjoy. (Serve cold).