Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cod fish fritters
- 1⁄2 lb salt cod fish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 habanero pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- oil, enough (for frying)
- Soak the cod fish in cold water for 2 hours or longer, according the saltiness and hardness of the fish.
- Drain, rinse and place in a small saucepan. Pour boiling water over the fish and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Drain. Remove any bones and skin and shred the fish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the garlic, scallion, pepper (very hot use according to taste), water and canola oil and mix to a smooth batter. Add the shredded fish and mix well.
- Heat oil to 370F in a deep fryer or large, heavy saucepan. Fry the the mixture by teaspoonfuls until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, keep warm and serve hot as hors-oeuvres.