Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My Italian in-laws make a similar dish for Christmas Even Dinner, so I searched the net and found this one on an Italian recipe site. The recipe calls for salt cod, but we used regular frozen cod and let it defrost a bit first. We didn't use pine nuts either as we didn't have any on hand. The raisins may sound unusual, but they add to a very tasty element to this dish. Try it, Im sure you will be pleasantly surprised! from: www.italianmade.com
- 2 lbs salt cod fish (or fresh or frozen cod)
- 1 tablespoon raisins, softened in lukewarm water
- 1 lb onion
- 3 cups olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Follow the usual procedure to soften the salt cod and cut into 2 oz. pieces. Lightly dust with flour and fry in very hot oil. Remove excess fat by placing it on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Sauté the onions In a separate skillet with 1 tbs. oil. When tender but not brown, add the anchovies, capers, raisins and pine nuts. Add the fried cod to the pan, mix well and cook for one hour or a bit less over low heat. Occasionally baste the top of the cod with the cooking liquids. If it gets too dry, add a few tbs. hot water. When ready, add the chopped parsley, remove from heat and serve.
- This preparation lends itself to several variations. For example, you can add 2 lbs. of peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of black olives, cook for 20 mins., and then add the fried cod and bake in the oven at 450ºF for one hour.
- Some prefer this recipe without raisins and pine nuts.